The Path of The Nebraska Needhams

____________________________________________________

The Needham Conversions were constructed in Trenton in 1869 through 1870. They were sent to various points along the Canadian border in support of the Fenian raids into Canada. Up to 1500 needhams were sent to Lincoln Nebraska for a future raid into Manitoba Canada

Needhams left Trenton bound for the State House in Lincoln Nebraska. Governor Butler was to store them for the Manitoba raids.

____________________________________________________

Image on the left is the grounds the armory the Fenians used to build Needham Conversions.The image on the right is the Lincoln Statehouse in 1869. Governor David Butler was governor in 1870.

The first leg of the Needham Converisons.
Trenton to Lincoln Nebraska

____________________________________________________
Second leg of the journey was from the State House in Lincoln Nebraska to some point on the Minnesota border.

____________________________________________________
Third leg of the journey was back to Nebraska in Plattsmouth.
The shipping charges were never paid when the Needhams were shipped to the Minnesota border. A party contacted John Fitzgerald, a millionaire businessman, also an Irish Fenian supporter if he would pay the past due shipping charges he could keep the arms. He paid the charge and third leg was from the Minnesota border to Plattsmouth Nebraska

____________________________________________________

Fourth leg of the journey was from Plattsmouth to the Fitzgerald building in West Lincoln on O street and Ninth. It is now a parking garage. The image on the left is the Fitzgerald building in Plattsmouth where the Needhams were stored. They were then transferred to the Fitzgerald building in West Lincoln.

____________________________________________________
The fifth and final leg was a short leg from the Fitzgerald building in west Lincoln to the Fitzgerald mansion Mount Emerald in southeast Lincoln. They were in the basement of the building in th eright image when it burned down on Augunst 29, 1907.

____________________________________________________

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *